Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Seriously, Karma?

For the past two days, I feel like Karma is seriously trying to mess with me. There have been so many things that seriously were about to drive me over the edge, but then something else happens to make it not so bad. Yesterday morning started out pretty good. I actually got out of the house on time, and didn't hit much traffic. But then when I was at a red light about a half mile from work, I saw steam billowing out from under my hood. PEACHY. So because I had no idea what's wrong, or even what kind of things could be going wrong under the hood of my car, I basically coasted to work (because I didn't want to press on the gas and have my car explode or something equally as heinous) and called my parents in a panic. But then in a stroke of genius, I realized that I happen to work at a shipping company that has an in-house shop, with an in-house mechanic. So I basically ran in, introduced myself to the mechanic, and then proceeded to beg him to take a look at my car. So bless his big greasy hands, he looks at it, and replaced my radiator tank for the price of parts only. So for $63.82, I was able to get a new radiator tank, which would have easily cost me (or my parents, since they're taking care of all the maintenance on my car til I graduate and it becomes officially mine) $100+ at a regular garage, once you add in labor costs. So then he came up a few hours later and shows me a picture that he took on his phone of my battery cables, which are covered in an icky green gunk, and tells me that he'll replace my battery cables for like $5!!! SWEET!!! I’m sure that those cables would have been a pain in my backside sooner or later, so I’m glad that he found them now, instead of discovering it when my battery is dead and I really have a place to go.
In order to thank this fine mechanic, I decided to do what all Kiest girls do when someone needs thanking – you bake them something. Our mechanic is a diabetic, so I even took the time to go online and find a low-sugar recipe for him so that I wouldn’t be responsible for sending him into a sugar shock or whatever happens when a diabetic gets too much sugar. I go to bake the cookies, and realize that I need salt…and the proceed to find that all we have left in our pantry is stupid sea salt. Yuck. But oh well, it didn’t seem too bad, and it was only ¼ of a teaspoon. But then in all of my spaziness, I forgot to set the timer for the second batch of cookies. So I was in my room eating my dinner and trying to get ready for work today, and I started to wonder why I hadn’t heard the timer go off. So I check on the cookies to find that they now had the consistency of hockey pucks. That was the first batch of cookies that I have ever REALLY burnt in my life, which was just depressing. So Ron only got about 10 cookies, but I think he liked them so that’s what counts.

So Karma continues to laugh in my face when I finally get in bed, and forget to set my alarm clock. And I haven’t been sleeping that well in the first place, so I roll over this morning and see that it’s 6:56am – and my alarm is supposed to go off at 6:30am. LOVELY. So I race around like a madwoman, thankful that I have my mother’s preparation skills and have most of my stuff ready the night before, and race out of the door. I timed it – I am now aware of the fact that I have the ability to get ready in exactly 24 minutes – and that includes shoving down a bowl of oatmeal. To add on top of that, it’s pouring, which doesn’t mean much except to put me in a more negative mood. Plus I get to mail my parking ticket explanation in the mail, which just makes me mad that I got the stupid ticket in the first place. Also, there is just so much drama going on in all areas of my life that I just get bogged down with it. And then with days like today, I overanalyze everything (not that you do that, right? Or am I the only one?) And then the e-mail from our UP President that says a classmate was found dead in his apartment is just plain depressing.

I know that this isn’t the happiest blog post, but according to the weatherman, the sun will come out tomorrow J

No comments:

Post a Comment