Friday, May 20, 2011

Judgment Day at Hand (?)


For the past 3 years, I’ve heard people say that Obama is the anti-Christ. Who knows.



But then again, the same could be said about Fidel Castro, Osama bin Laden (except for the minor, inconvenient detail that was killed recently), Kim Jong-il, Hitler, Stalin, Saddam Hussein, and multiple other dictators and oppressors who have spread their reigns of destruction, fear, and power over the planet in the past few millennia.



With everyone talking about the supposed upcoming Rapture event happening tomorrow at 6pm, it’s easy to scoff at the idea and pass it off as the crazies of the world going at it again. But once I look past all of the hype and illogical rationalization of some people who honestly believe that Jesus Christ is returning tomorrow, it really does make me stop and think about my own relationship with God. Would I be taken with the believers? I pray so. I certainly don’t deserve it – only God’s mercy, love, and grace have gotten me to where I am today. Do I show the amount of appreciation and devotion that God rightfully deserves for blessing me with such a wonderful life? I’m ashamed to say I don’t. Do I wish that I was closer to God? Absolutely – but I believe that every relationship is a changing, evolving thing that has its ups and downs, and they all take work. In this case, the work is completely on my part, because unlike God and Jesus, I’m not perfect (FAR from it). But I also believe that God made us to be imperfect beings, and understands that I try to do the best I can. I’m going to stumble and fall, make mistakes, and sometimes lose my way.



The idea of being “left behind” for whatever rapture may or may not happen tomorrow is nothing less than terrifying. I’ve read the book of Revelation, and trust me, it won’t be a picnic to experience. My biggest fear is that someday, my soul will end up in Hell (or at least a long-ass time in Purgatory), but I put 100% of my faith and trust in God and His plan that he’ll see me through.



While I’m sure that Mr. Camping whole-heartedly believes that his prediction is true (and has managed to convince thousands to cash in their life savings to spread their prophetic doom), there is one looming fact that seems to have escaped him. I’m no good at memorizing Bible verses, but there are a couple verses that I remember that contradict this prediction (I actually had to look these up to be sure): Matthew 24:36, “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone,” and Acts 1:7, “He said to them: ‘It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own Authority.” To me, this means that mere mortals aren’t supposed to know, in fact, can’t know, when Jesus will return. So if a sizable group of people all over the globe are anxiously awaiting a certain hour, doesn’t that seem to go against what the Bible is saying? (no room for interpretation there, it’s pretty black and white in its meaning).



Perhaps the real “event” here is to try to get us to think about our own mortality, and our own relationship with God. While I fully believe in God and His Catholic church, I highly doubt that the world will end tomorrow. But, in any case, no matter what happens, this has been a friendly reminder that Jesus WILL return someday, and I had better be ready. Why not be ready now, or even yesterday? Gotta go home and crack open that Bible and keep reading, learning, loving, praying, and hoping.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing post, Kourt!
    Anytime is an AMAZING time to think about your relationship with God, because it absolutely only gets better and better. :)

    ReplyDelete