Monday, August 10, 2009

3 Things

I recently read a book where the main character had a good habit that I'm trying to pick up on: every time something unfavorable happened, she made herself think of 3 good things that had happened that were related to the main "bad" thing, and then somehow, the world seemed like a happier place.

Let's give this a try:

I've been casually dating JS* for a few weeks now. I like the guy -- he's great, is fun to hang out with, and seems to have his life together. Only bad thing is that he'll be going back to school in a month, so I'm not holding my breath on a lasting relationship. "Que sera, sera" and all that crap.
Anyways, tonight we were supposed to hang out. We saw each other on Friday, and had a great time, which is partly why I was so excited to hang out again tonight. But, alas, The Man intervened and prevented such a meeting from happening (tonight). Something about "blah blah blah steel girders blah work tonight blah I'M SORRY". At least I can take some comfort in the fact that I'm pretty sure he meant it. But still. It's one of those things where you don't realize how much you're looking forward to something until it doesn't happen.

So now we're trying our own version of home-remedy therapy.

Here goes:

1) I meant to make banana bread last night, but chose to play volleyball instead at 24-Hr. Now I can make some delectable banana bread for my grandmother.
2) This is the same grandmother who had a "no big deal cataract laser eye thing" done today, and who chose not to tell her granddaughter/roommate about, so now I can feel less guilty and go home to take care of my half-blinded grandmother.
3) My toenails are in dire need of a pedicure.

Huh. This isn't as hard as I thought. Might as well shoot for the stars and see how many good things I can think of.

4) I went to the gym last night AND this morning at 4am, just in case we were to go out to dinner at some place where I couldn't get something that was somewhat healthy for me. So now not only am I saving myself probably hundreds of calories, but I can feel better about the cake ball and snickerdoodle cookie that I ate today while I'm at home eating my usual dinner -- brown rice and steamed veggies.
5) "I'm rather fond of walking" (name that movie! One of my personal faves, but that's neither here nor there). Maybe tonight while the banana bread is in the oven and I make sure that my grandma has everything she needs, I can take a quick walk. To burn off some of the calories from the previously-mentioned sweet snacks.
6) I can feel more like the confident, independent, modern woman that I am....while checking my phone every 45 (ok, let's be honest....20) minutes for any texts I may have missed.
7) I can get to bed at a decent time. Since I got up early this morning to go to the gym, I thought that tomorrow would be killer since I wouldn't be getting home until late. Now, I can not only go to bed, but get a full night's sleep and go to the gym tomorrow, too! Even though Tuesday is usually my day off! BOO-YAH I KICK ASS.
8) I'm sure that there is at least an episode or two (or 230587239085) of Ace of Cakes that I really should catch up on. You know, to stay aware of cultural events, like cake decorating art.
9) I just got my hair cut, so I'm still working out how the new hairstyle is working. This gives me at least another day to perfect the new 'do before he sees it for the first time.
10) Hmmm, one more. Uhhh......oh! I BBQ'd some chicken last night, and didn't have time to clean the grill and put the cover back on. IT WILL BE DONE AND I WILL HAVE REACHED A NEW LEVEL OF SELF-ACTUALIZATION.

But I still wish I was going out tonight.






*That "protect the innocent" crap again. Just in case. Not that there's much of a chance that he reads this since he doesn't have internet at home, but ya never know...

2 comments:

  1. Hello. Just found your blog. Really interesting. Had to be a new follower. Come check out mine if you'd like. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.. No worries you can relax and get mind therapy at my blog. Check it out http://cleoreader.blogspot.com and be my follower.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete