Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Early morning surprise

I live in Portland, right? The largest city in Oregon, with a metropolitan-population of about 500,000. Lots of people, cars, concrete, noise, and did I mention lots of people? (At least it seems like a lot of people to a girl who grew up in small towns.) Doesn't leave a lot of room for the indigenous wildlife.



So imagine my surprise this morning as I was driving back from the gym at 6am, and about a mile from my house, I stop the car dead in its tracks.




Why, you may ask?




Well, because I'm not a killer. I refuse to intentionally run over a poor, defenseless animal, even if it does look like this:




*Don't worry, I didn't take this picture. This is thanks to Mr. Google.



Yup, I almost flattened an opossum (not to be confused, I've learned, with the possum, which is a much cuter creature that lives in New Zealand). I stopped my car, and the stupid thing still didn't move. I finally inched my car forward, hoping to give it a "healthy" hint, and it finally ambled away into the grass-filled ditch on the other side of the road.


This is now just added to the list of things I've encountered on the road while living in Oregon. I have now seen raccoons, deer, a wolf carcas, and most recently, an opossum.


So much for "escaping nature" by living in the city. I guess those pesky animals didn't read the new zoning ordinances, did they?

No comments:

Post a Comment